The McCrindle Blog
Australia's search trends: What do we Google?
As social researchers at McCrindle Research we love to track not only demographic trends, but also the mood of the nation and what Australians care about.
One interesting exercise to monitor this is to find out what Aussies are looking for on Google. This also uncovers some interesting perspectives state by state...and indeed validates a few stereotypes. We like to think of this as a form of qualitative research on a larger scale.
Join McCrindle Research as we track a week of Googling in Australia!
Top three trends nationwide
It wouldn’t be Jubilee week without Queen Elizabeth slipping into the top ten, while obviously not ranking as highly as the UK which achieved four trending search terms for the Queen in the top ten... compared to other English speaking nations in the Commonwealth (Canada, South Africa and New Zealand) we love our royalty, with none of these countries featuring any jubilee-related search terms.
It seems Aussies are a nation of tech-heads, with three smart phone searches currently trending. We seem to love our technology even more than our cultural friends in the USA and the UK, with neither of these seeing a tech-trend in the past week.
It’s no surprise that we’re a sporty crew and our search terms reflect this, with AFL, more AFL and the tennis coming up trumps. State by state analysis shows the heartlands of several sports, for example; Victorians have four trending AFL searches, compared to just one in NSW, QLD and WA! In Adelaide of course the South Australian National Football League is popular, while in Tassie the National Basketball Association ranked well!
Trends across the states
While the search terms were similar across all the states, there were a couple of interesting searches that reveal differences across the nation.
In NSW the ASX slipped in, showing the strong influence of the financial sector in this state.
Queenslanders have always had a strong affinity with Credit Unions and interestingly CUA was trending this week as one of their top searches.
Perhaps it’s been raining in WA, as a night in with a movie and a pizza seemed to be on the cards for many west Australians (as well as the weather report!), with dominos, BOM and Game of Thrones all trending in this state.
Movies and entertainment
It’s no surprise that with winter on its way, many Australians seem to be off to the movies...indeed the new science fiction movie Prometheus is rating highly across the globe at the moment. Interestingly, different movie theatres are trending in different states, with Hoyts rating well in WA, Event cinemas in QLD and the Dendy in the ACT where arty movies rate well, and indeed with all those embassies foreign films are a must!
Top 10 searches across the states
Thanks for checking out McCrindle Research’s analysis of Google trends. We’ll continue to keep an eye on these so stay tuned to see if anything interesting pops up!
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Welcome to our blog...
We have a passion for research that tells a story, that can be presented visually, that brings about change and improves organisations. And we hope these resources help you know the times.The McCrindle Team :)
Our Social Media Sites
Last 100 Articles
- What makes a great leader? [in the media]
- Top Leadership Styles: Today's Ideal Leader
- Our Strategic Research Model
- Thanks for the Views!
- Kindness and the Aussie Character
- The McCrindle Consumer Trends Wheel
- Teleworking in Australia: Latest Trends and Perceptions
- Australia, the Small Business Nation
- Baby Names Take Religious Roots
- Australia in 2034: The World of Generation Alpha
- Today's Interactive Learner
- Aussie slang: Top words, phrases, rhymes, and similes
- A Dozen Demographic Did You Knows
- Hot Conference Topics for 2013
- The Kindness of Strangers
- Emerging Segments: Engaging with the Ever Changing Customer
- The Baby Bonus Generation
- Fast Facts: Volunteers in Australia
- Everyday money saving tips
- Cost of Living: Still the Number One Issue
- Older Workers, Downagers, and Redefining Retirement
- 1 in 5 Aussie mums to go without gifts this Mother's Day
- Australian Mums Speak: Worst Mother's Day Gifts
- Top 5 Best & Worst Jobs [MEDIA]
- Data Visualisation: Research You Can See
- Sounds, Syllables & Spellings [Baby Names]
- Social Business: Emerging Technologies, New Strategies
- Baby Name No Nos
- Mark McCrindle Professional Presentations
- Australia's Population at 23 Million [in the media]
- Australia's Population Milestone [VIDEO]
- Top Australian Baby Names [in the media]
- Anzac Day: Second Only to Christmas
- Mark McCrindle defines Australia's population growth at 23,000,000 [VIDEO]
- Top 10 Baby Names
- Top 5 keys to worlds-best research visualisation [RESOURCE]
- Australia Turns 23 (million)! [INFOGRAPHIC]
- What we do and how we do it at McCrindle Research
- Australia to hit 23 million. Mark McCrindle on ABC News 24
- 23 million on 23 April 2013
- Public Speaking Tips 101 [RESOURCE]
- 5 tips for an effective online survey [RESOURCE]
- 23,000,000 on 23 April, 2013
- Youth In Australia: A Demographic Analysis during National Youth Week
- Social class systems in Australia & the UK [MEDIA]
- Australia's demographics in a bite sized piece
- Working hours, population boost, good manners, social trends in marriage and divorce [MEDIA]
- Church Attendance in Australia [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Easter, Australians and Christianity [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Losing It: Aussie Etiquette on the Wane
- Population growth rate of Australia & the world [VIDEO]
- The Water Report: 20 Years of World Water Day [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Managing Generation Y: Top 5 Attraction and Retention Factors [RESOURCE]
- Education in Australia McCrindle Research Future Forum [RESOURCE]
- Australia Hits 23 Million!
- Tattoos, modern workspaces and Canberra's centenary [MEDIA]
- The National Happiness Barometer [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Statistics Excellence Award for Mark McCrindle, McCrindle Research
- Digital Transactors vs Digital Integrators: A Quiz
- Education Future Forum 2013 Recap
- Tattoos in Australia: Perceptions, Trends and Regrets
- National Education Report: A Snapshot of Schools in Australia in 2013
- Top 7 Trends of 2013 [REPORT]
- Work from home: Is it bad for business? [VIDEO]
- Are you addicted to your smart phone? [VIDEO]
- Generational Analysis & What Defines a Generation
- Who, When & What of Gen X, Y, Z & Generation Alpha
- The ABC of Gen Z: The digital, visual & global generation
- Australians and Love in the 21st Century
- How to speak Stralyan / Aussie slang [INFOGRAPHIC]
- The new Australian identity: Five shifts
- Aussie Pride: What Australians love about their country
- Big Australia: Geographically and Demographically [INFOGRAPHIC]
- How to Speak Stralyan: The Australian Language from A to Z [INFOGRAPHIC]
- The gender pay gap: Male and female average salary by career and industry [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Generation Optimism: Why Gen Ys are positive about 2013
- Generation Z Defined: Global, Visual, Digital
- Social analysis of the top Google searches of 2012
- E-cards vs. real cards, which would you prefer?
- Christmas Gift Guide: The top trends to watch and the gifts to avoid!
- Education Future Forum 2013 [VIDEO]
- Mark McCrindle explains Australia Street [VIDEO]
- Phrases and Symbols that Define 21st Century Australians
- Thrifty Christmas: Australian families cutting costs these holidays
- Multiculturalism in Sydney, Australia: The world on a plate
- Australia Street: A visual representation of our nation as a street of 100 households [INFOGRAPHIC] [VIDEO]
- Showrooming: Smartphone use during in-store shopping [VIDEO]
- The best country to be born in for 2030 [VIDEO]
- APP-HAPPY AUSTRALIA: The rise of the smartphone [RESOURCE]
- Books by Mark McCrindle: Word Up, The Power of Good, The ABC of XYZ [CHRISTMAS SPECIAL]
- One Direction, quinoa, Gangnam Style, Instagram, #hashtag and beyond... [VIDEO]
- The Australian Communities Forum event recap [SLIDES] [PHOTOS]
- Here's to Australian Communities: Post by Mark McCrindle [VIDEO]
- The Top 12 trends of 2012
- The most asked questions in Australia according to Google search suggestions
- It's your street, it's my street... welcome to Australia Street! [VIDEO INFOGRAPHIC]
- Achieving Cut-Through: Future Forum Breakfast [RECAP]
- The A to Z of Australian searching: Top YouTube Search Suggestions
- The A to Z of Australian searching: Top Google Search Suggestions
- 10/11/12: Super Wedding Saturday!
Posts by Date